Thursday, September 19, 2013

I am a 5th year architecture student at Syracuse University. I'm at the beginning stages of my thesis research and have started this blog to keep track of my thoughts and ideas that I have about my topic. I'll be updating my blog twice a week, Monday's and Thursday's to document what I've researched and how I've decided to forward my thesis. I welcome all comments, suggestions, and ideas.

First starting out with thesis, I didn't really know how to begin. Eventually I figured out that I wanted to do something with technology and architecture, one idea that I had was interactive architecture and sustainable architecture. Eventually, this lead to biomimicry and the way in which it can help architecture. 

I chose to go with how biomimicry can help architecture, because it is still relatively new to architecture and it has great potential for architecture. Through my research, I've come across several different forms of biomimicry, some of which are biomimetics, bionics, bio-engineering, and biomophism. Two of these forms that I find particular interest in are bionics and biomorphism. So far several precedents that I've come across that deal with these two forms of biomimicry in vastly different ways are the Gherkin in London, Hylozoic Ground by Philip Beesley, and Syph by Arup Biomimetics. Each of these use biomimicry as a process, as something that can be created using modern technology, and something that can take the form of nature. 


Eventually, I see myself doing a large-scale project, something along the lines of an airport or a cruise ship. I'm imagining something along those lines because many people congregate there and they are not very sustainable, something which biomimicry can help with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment